Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Just an update...

With the time difference making it harder to call friends and family in Australia, I have put together a quick update of our lives here for those I haven’t spoken to in awhile.

As for me, school is going very smoothly indeed. Very busy, but nothing too stressful, and I have to admit that after a few months in the program I am still thoroughly enjoying it. The research I am involved in is largely based on examining the ways in which people cope with cancer, and in turn creating more effective forms of treatment. This has been very interesting, and has involved a lot of time in clinics and hospitals in the area, and a crash course in the field of oncology. Classes are fairly straightforward, with much discussion regarding the legalities and ethical guidelines associated with sleeping with your clients (the reason we all want to be psychologists). Statistics is still statistics, and I expect will always be statistics, but there are enough distractions to make the program all together pretty incredible.

Despite the hours we have committed to work and school, Jen and I have managed to setup a home and the beginnings of a life here in South Bend. We have both begun working at a hospice nearby, an experience that is proving to be an incredibly challenging and fulfilling. We are of course regulars at the $1 movie theater, with plans to move onto the $1 bowling and $1 ice skating in the near future…it is non-stop, big city action here!

Jen has carved out an incredible position for herself here in South Bend. In only a few months she has secured two jobs, including a position in one of the premier hospitals in the state. She has topped both the classes she is taking, and is coping remarkably well as the temperature here begins to drop for the winter.

Coming up we have a trip to LA for the bonanza that is Thanksgiving, and then back to South Bend to finish off the school semester. Then it is back to LA for a wedding and onto another plane bound for Melbourne and an Australian Christmas! It feels like a lifetime ago that I was home, and I can’t wait to see everyone. It is going to be an incredible two months.

Pictured: Jen in her new sexy scrubs (before being stained with vomit), and me in pants for the first time since arriving…having made it all the way to November 13th (Temp: -1ºC/30ºF)

1 comment:

Phillip said...

Greetings...just letting you know that your web logs are not going unread.

It was good to see ya brother Ez, if only for a few sticky minutes.