The process of 'networking' is indeed a strange and complex art form; however it is one that very rarely manifests anything that can be described as sophisticated, beautiful or breathtaking. Instead, it is for many a necessary evil, one that leaves them feeling distinctly dirty and unclean, but is part of a game that must be played by both sides. This was to be my fortune as I traveled to San Diego to attend the Behavioral Medicine conference held each year. Mind you, before this is interpreted as any form of complaint, let me assure you that I am more than happy to rub up and down against people's legs for three days in return for a free trip to the West Coast.
That said, as I walked around the conference, I observed the ritualistic mating habits of many wonderful species of scientist: the pathetic yet endearing 'eager graduate student'…the exotic and always apprehensive 'junior faculty member'…and of course the king of the jungle…a giant amongst mere mortals…the rarely seen 'celebrity scientist'…individuals who have often accidentally made their way into the mainstream media…and now are considered "The Fonz" of their respective areas of research. Despite a hangover I performed well, gyrating against legs with the best of them, and managing to leave my scent on a number of influential director's shoes.
With the conference concluded and having showered three times with a metal brush, Jen and I were free to enjoy San Diego and some beautiful weather. We spent a night at the newly opened Hard Rock Hotel with some friends…which was very cool…the hotel…not me of course. And then watched the sunset at the famous Coronado Hotel. The weekend concluded with the standard insanity ~ whereby we try to fit an entire month's worth of family gatherings into the space of two days in LA. It was a great time, and great to see so many friends and family in such a short time.
I am now back in South Bend on my lonesome. Jen has taken the plunge and went straight from LA to the 10-day meditation course that I completed at the start of the year. It is the fourth day for her as I write this, and if I remember my experience correctly, she will be cursing the world and its existence about now. So for those three people who still read this blog…cross your fingers for her.
Pictured: The famous Gaslamp District, San Diego, Coronado, and Jen in the sand.
1 comment:
Ez,
Rest assured that we are with her in spirit...
Jerry
Post a Comment