Sunday, April 20, 2008

Ten days of peace and quiet...

In the interests of self-preservation I will allow it to remain ambiguous as to whose 10 days of peace and quiet it was ~ but ladies and gentleman...allow me to introduce the latest addition to the world of extreme sport meditation...Jennifer "Perhaps a little too emotional" Herrera! That's right, this past weekend Jen returned from her first 10-day Vipassana retreat, and it sounds like she jumped in head first. Many of Jen's reports I think were expected...a great sense of peace, very relaxed, the infamous fourth day in which she became almost homicidal. However, there were also a good number of reports that no sane man would have put money on two weeks ago. For example, Jen usually greets the morning with a hateful stare and a threat of violence, however she was up at 4am every morning and in the meditation hall...a wonderful display of will-power and one that has effectively ruined any chance of her being allowed to sleep in every again. Then there were the reports of her steadfast lack of emotionality...this coming from a girl who can tear up during a 15 second Kleenex advertisement, or go from 0 to crazy in all of 6.2 seconds flat. And finally, her "enjoyment", yes folks, "enjoyment" and satisfaction in eating nothing but fruit and tea for the final meal of the day (at 5pm). Now all jokes aside, it is an incredible feat to endure a Vipassana retreat, and we are all extremely proud of her. She has returned to the real world (which as it does for everyone finishing the 10 day retreat, hit her square in the face) with a renewed sense of peace and a deepened level of motivation to pursue a career helping others. So here's to Jen...a huge congratulations...for kickin' it like the Buddha.


2 comments:

Jerry said...

Jen,
I am so very proud of you! I can't believe it, you DID IT! This is so awesome and I envy you for it. Great things are in store for both of you. You are very special and destined to do great things. As for me, I continue with the Oprah on-line class of "A New Earth". My resolve keeps on moving and yes a new sense of piece is arising. All my love,
Tio Jerry

Unknown said...

I'll admit that I've had doubts about the effectiveness of this retreat, but now that I see that they taught you how to balance on an exercise ball, I am so in! Love you guys!!!

Steph