Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Biting into the Big Apple

So I am still standing after my first week in the organized chaos that is New York City. After a year living in a small town in the Midwest I must admit – I had got used to a lot of personal space…and very little sensory excitation…it’s a quite life and I had adjusted to it. Now, being back in a big city – and one with the population of Australia crammed into a space that seems roughly equivalent to an airplane lavatory – it is time to readjust…relinquish my personal space…acknowledge that in New York you don’t look people in the eye and smile…and get down to business.

With my sister’s last week being spent here in NYC – we had a long list of sites to cover in between my working hours. We successfully covered the city – seeing the major sites, some museums, and tasting the best bagels and pizza New York had to offer.

I also settled into my apartment and began work as an intern at the hospital nearby. So far it has been an incredible experience – with a lot of luck coming my way as I get settled in for the next two months – with a good friend finding an apartment for me – and a scholarship covering travel, accommodation and meals during my time in the Big Apple.

I am living in a nice neighborhood about a block from Central Park on the west side – not far from Central Park West and a short walk through the park to 5th Avenue. It is an incredible space to have in such a city – with plenty of room and even a private roof deck overlooking the city – just as icing on the cake. I am working a few blocks from the famous 5th Avenue shopping strip – and it seems so far that this will be an invaluable experience as I begin to make my way through graduate school.

No comments: