Sunday, July 29, 2007

Peaceful Chaos

New York is many things...many wonderful things in fact...but peaceful it is not. While running in the park provides significant relief, and I have also been fortunate enough to find myself living in a relaxing apartment - where each night I venture to the roof with a drink to piece together my sanity - I decided this past week to venture out and investigate some of the other options in this controlled chaos of a city. It was this in mind that I set out to investigate many of the Buddhist temples in the city - attending talks and discussions, as well as their regular sittings. With hundreds of people in attendance - some were more interesting than others - however these hours of staring at my navel did create a modicum of peacefulness as I continue to move throughout the city.
Next on the list were examples of another way by which to gain peace in such a thriving metropolis...alcohol. Armed with some recommendations - and a well-lined stomach - I set out to see some of the more unique bars and pubs NY has to offer. Perhaps one of the more interesting was McSorley's - one of the oldest bars in Manhattan - and judging by the decor - obviously determined to prove such a title. Complete with saw-dust on the ground - and serving 'Ale' not 'Beer' (as each customer is politely informed) - this place was worth a visit - if only for the experience of buying a drink that left change from a $20 -
So another week comes to a close - and was finished off with a little taste of home. I managed to get along to the Summerstage Concert in Central Park - and sure enough - despite being half a world away from Australia - it turned out to be Cat Empire playing - a local band from Melbourne in a not-so-local place -

Pictured: My rooftop bar...a location largely responsible for maintaining my sanity since arriving - and the Public Library with its spectacular Reading Room.

No comments: