Sunday, July 29, 2007

With the flip a coin...we are on our way

Faced with a free weekend from work commitments I decided to make the most of it - and venture outside of the city. Thus, Friday afternoon I sat at a computer staring at a map of the surrounding area - and contemplating the various ways the weekend could unfold. Unable to make a decision I decided to leave it to chance, and thus Saturday morning I found myself at Penn Station with a quarter - decidedly unprepared for any sort of trip - and ready to find out where I was going. The coin landed and it was decided - armed with a plastic bottle of gin and a change of underwear - I was jumping a train to Point Pleasant and the Jersey shoreline two hours from Manhattan.

It was amazing to be leaving the chaos of New York City behind me for a night - once more gaining a degree of personal space. I had been lucky enough to get in touch with a friend of a friend - who invited me to stay with her and her family in one of the beautiful small towns along the shore. As you can see by the photo - it was perfect weather as my train pulled into the station in the midst of a thunderstorm. The night was thus spent relaxing at one of the harbor side bars in town - enjoying the distinct lack of traffic noise and gunshots...and then Sunday morning - refreshed and rejuvenated - I was back on the train to the city and ready for another week at work.

No comments: