Tuesday, July 10, 2007

How do you celebrate the 4th of July in Australia?

While it is sadly true that I have been asked this question on more than one occasion – I would like to focus on some of the more positive and truly American aspects of this crazy celebration. Unsure when I would find myself in NYC on the 4th of July again – my sister and I decided to make the most of the occasion – and departed early on this day of days – to travel to Coney Island for the world-renown and magical experience that is…Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest.

It was hard to remain calm as such an epic and emotionally laden competition unfolded before our very eyes. 20,000 people surrounded us discussing each of the contestants form over the past year – and whether or not the much coveted title belt would return to American shores. It was like a fairytale - almost as if following a patriotic and wonderful script – the American challenger successfully defeated the world champion in a nail (hotdog?) biting finish – consuming a grand total of 66 dogs and buns in 12 minutes. Exhausted and close to tears – swearing our allegiance to a country capable of producing such wonderful sporting moments – we made our way back to Manhattan to regain our strength in time for the fireworks that night.

Despite an emotional afternoon at Coney Island – we pulled ourselves together and trekked out into the rain to see the much talked about fireworks over the East River. This turned out to be a very worthwhile trip – as thousands gathered to watch enough fireworks to launch a small rocket explode over the water. It was a pretty amazing site – even in the rain – and my best (first) 4th of July ever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey EZ! We can't wait to see you in just 3 more days!! :) I got to see those fireworks too--isn't it cool! :) I love NY...can't wait to hear more about it when you are in CA. :) -laura