Sunday, December 10, 2006

Can anybody see the road?

It seems that a forced adjustment to living in a colder climate is the way to go here, with the winter coming through in full force. Previous experience in the cold had very much been of the holiday kind, with very little to actually do and the quick acknowledgment that snow always looks nicer from inside. Being forced to function in this sort of temperature is tough, very tough, with a trip to a nearby town proving to be one of the more terrifying experiences of my life. Needing to review some charts at a nearby hospital I set off in the middle of a snow storm and proceeded to navigate extremely slowly through weather conditions I had never driven in before. Through the course of the drive I watched cars slide off the road into ditches, slide through intersections, and at one point I lost sight of the road completely due to wind and sleet. Luckily, there was someone in front of me whose bumper I was able to make out and follow, simply hoping that they were going somewhere close to where I wanted to end up.

Over an hour later I had made it to the hospital and set about collecting the information I needed. Then I was back on the road, in the same weather, but in the opposite direction. Over an hour later, as I pulled back into town, I have never been so happy to see the ugliness of South Bend.


Pictured: The red devil preparing for the trip back again, and about as good as the visibility got on the trip.

No comments: