Sunday, December 03, 2006

What do you have to be Thankful for?

I am guessing that your answer to the question above has changed since seeing the photo of me below…and that you are now thankful that you didn’t have to see me as a seductive pilgrim – complete with my five o’clock shadow and a conservative yet ‘fun’ skirt. Despite my fashion based attempt to upset everyone’s appetites, the Thanksgiving holiday was brilliant, with plenty to eat and drink.

In true American form, I decided to follow the Thanksgiving tradition with my first (and last) ‘Black Friday’ experience. For those who live in less insane parts of the world…basically retailers open their doors at 5am for a few hours of unheard of specials. Such specials incite panic, violence and determination usually reserved for riots, with hundreds of people camping out overnight to ensure their spot in the line. While we did not take it this far, we were at the store at 5am…in a line…of at least 300 people. The lines of course only continued inside the store…but people had come prepared. As we watched the line move slower than Eric after his third plate of turkey, we realized people had come prepared with water, energy bars and Gatorade to get them through this retail marathon. Four hours later we emerged from the store, feeling dirty and violated, and holding our purchases high above our heads like trophies for the world to see. I am yet to decide which is more sad…the fact I was willing to get up at 5am to go shopping…or the fact that having got up at 5am…the most exciting thing I purchased was a new flash drive for my school work.

1 comment:

Phillip said...

These pics are great! I honestly don't know if I could pull this off with my family.

Cheers! and happy Thanksgiving.